A new coat of paint on the interior or exterior of your home or business can make such a huge impact aesthetically, but also in terms of adding value and even protecting your building. Painting can be the most impactful change you can make to brighten up a façade, change the way your property looks and even how it makes you and others feel.
One question many people ask is if you should do your own painting, or hire a painting company to take care of it for you? If you are considering hiring a painting company, read on to discover why you should, and how much you might have to pay if you do.
Why hire a painting company?
There are a great many reasons to hire a painting company to deal with any and all of your painting needs, not least of which is not having to do the job yourself. Most people have very little free time as it is, time that they would rather use to destress or have fun instead of dealing with household jobs or more work. Among the main reasons to hire a painting company include:
- The quality of the job – unless you are a budding Picasso in your own right, and even then depending on the end result you are going for, the professionals are going to do a better job. For a truly flawless finish, hiring out is the way to go.
- No prepping and tidying needed – as well as the actual painting itself, it takes effort to get the materials, tape up the light switches and skirting board and so on. Using a painting company means you can sit back and enjoy beautiful walls without the work.
- They tend to be quick and efficient – if you try and do your own painting in your spare time, you can quickly find a job dragging on for what can seem like a lifetime. By hiring a professional painter, you can expect to see results quickly and efficiently.
- A poor paint job can be worse than none – and may have to be redone – while a company can guarantee you a perfect final coat, if you have a go at doing it yourself, any mistakes, drips, missed spots and so on can actually leave your walls looking worse than before.
- Value for money – yes, it does cost more to hire a professional than to do it yourself. But the standard of the job, the speed at which they will do it and saving you having to spend your time and effort on it means it is actually often better value.
What do paint companies do?
So, now that you know some of the best reasons why you should hire a painting company for your home or business, it is time to consider exactly what it is that they do. In general a paint or painting company can provide the paint itself. But more specifically to this article, painting companies provide the services of painters to customers.
These services tend to include the painting of walls and ceilings, as well as buildings, equipment, structures like bridges and more. You can find companies that specialise in residential painting, commercial painting or even industrial painting. There is a professional ready to help you with any and all of your painting needs.
Most painting companies will typically provide you with a quote including the materials if they are bringing them. They then organise the materials and the labour, prepare and carry out the job, and then clean up after themselves.
If you have extra tasks that you want doing such as minor plaster repairs, installing a trim, finishing drywall or hanging any fixtures or fittings, you should always enquire first. Some companies may not do any extra tasks while others will be happy to oblige, though usually for a small fee.
Essentially, your painting company should take care of any and all aspects of your painting needs, including:
- Planning the job – which includes measuring the area and determining how much paint will be needed, how long it will take and how much it should cost.
- Selecting the right paint for the job – which may include specialised paint for certain surfaces or for exteriors.
- Preparing the work surface – which can include removing old paint, fixing small holes and imperfections and covering the floors and furniture as needed.
- Painting – this can include mixing the paint and then applying several coats as needed.
- Inspecting their work and putting everything back as it was – you should always check over the finished job as well, and a truly good painting company will clean up after themselves before they present you with the bill.
How much do painters charge per hour?
Much like with many professions, the scale of painter that you hire and the job you want done can dramatically impact the price. If you are happy to have a relatively inexperienced local painter slap on a few coats of paint, you could pay them a lot less than a professional painter with lots of experience.
Likewise, if you are looking for someone to paint a mural, use specialised paint or create certain patterns, you would pay that much more. In Australia, a professional painter could cost you anything from less than $30AU an hour to over $100AU. It is therefore important to consider what you want and what you are willing to pay for.
There is little point in getting someone in to paint your home or business if they don’t do a wonderful job. By hiring a company like Platinum 3 Painting, you know you are getting your money’s worth. An experienced and high-quality company is almost always worth the money, especially if they charge competitive hourly rates.
As you can see, though some people can manage to paint a room here or a door frame there, hiring a professional painting company can often be the better choice. While it does cost you more money than doing it yourself, the end result is likely to be far superior, you can get it done quicker and more efficiently. And you have the joy of not, in fact, having to do it yourself!